From: Brian.D.Botton@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] How works Genkernel's non-interactive 'make oldconfig'
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:47:18
1 "Ryan Sims" <rwsims@×××××.com> wrote on 06/15/2007 03:39:38 PM:
2
3 > On 6/15/07, Arne Stäcker <arnestaecker@×××.de> wrote:
4 > > Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2007 schrieb Greg KH:
5 > > > That's not really safe. You want to use the defaults, which is what
6 I
7 > > > think 'silentoldconfig' does. You really don't want to enable an
8 option
9 > > > like "Add self-destruct mode" to the kernel if it is newly present :)
10 > > >
11 > > > thanks,
12 > > >
13 > > > greg k-h
14 > > Good point. I will then use "echo n | make oldconfig" by default.
15 >
16 > I'm not sure that really removes the danger. What if they split out a
17 > driver you need into some other config option? If there's a way to
18 > echo a newline to all the questions, that would at least accept the
19 > defaults.
20 >
21 > Pardon me for being reactionary, but does "non-interactive kernel
22 > configuration" give anyone else the cold sweats?
25 I got bit by this exact issue. Don't do it. Run it by hand and
26 figure out what you need to do. It isn't that hard and you should
27 keep up with the changes anyway.
28
29 Brian
32 gentoo-kernel@g.o mailing list