From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] Gentoo Kernel Security Policy (DRAFT)
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 00:43:57
On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 11:31:01PM +0000, John Mylchreest wrote:
> 3. Genpatches-Base Support > > For as long as there is a kernel package in the tree using genpatches, > the corresponding genpatches-base will be maintained from a security > point of view. Announcements for each update follow the normal > procedure, however there is a caveat. Kernel sources which use > genpatches should not lapse more than 2 minor releases from upstream. > IE: kernel sources should not fall behind 2.6.14 if the most recent > upstream release is 2.6.16. In the extreme case where this is not > technically possible, this will require it being addressed on a > case-by-case basis, and a sectag penalty of 10 applied if appropriate.
Wow, we are commiting to support 2 kernel versions back? Since when? That's going to be a major effort that no one has signed up to do (even kernel.org doesn't offer that...) Do we _really_ want to say we are going to do this? If so, we're already behind with all of the recent 2.6.15 security fixes not being backported to 2.6.14 :) thanks, greg k-h -- gentoo-kernel@g.o mailing list