From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] virtual/linux-sources-2.6
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:04:44
1 >>>>> On Sun, 24 Jul 2011, Anthony G Basile wrote:
2
3 > I like the idea of dropping versioning altogether to avoid the
4 > problems of upstream changing versioning again --- what happens when
5 > 4.x comes out? But a quick grep of the tree shows atoms like this:
6
7 > <virtual/linux-sources-2.5
8
9 > It may be more than just minor problems.
10
11 Coming back to this. The above dependency is only found in the
12 profiles/uclibc/*/2.4/packages files, where it is always part of the
13 following group:
14
15 <sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.5
16 <sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.5
17 <sys-kernel/hardened-sources-2.5
18 <sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.5
19 <virtual/linux-sources-2.5
20
21 The dependency on <sys-kernel/*-sources-2.5 should be enough to ensure
22 that no newer kernel sources are pulled in.
23
24 Apart from these profiles, nothing in the tree depends on
25 linux-sources-2.4 any more. So I'd say that we could drop versioning
26 of the virtual altogether.
27
28 Ulrich