From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] How works Genkernel's non-interactive 'make oldconfig'
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:13:15
1 On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:35:30PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 03:35:31PM +0200, Arne St?cker wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > I don't know if this the right mailing list, but I give it a try.
5 > >
6 > > I'm writing a software to manage the upgrading, rebuild, uninstallation of the
7 > > linux kernel.
8 > >
9 > > Now, what I need is a non-interactive 'make oldconfig' like genkernel does it.
10 > > I looked at the code, but couldn't find the right line. Can anyone tell me at
11 > > which files and lines I have to look for this feature. Thanks.
12 >
13 > try:
14 > echo y | make oldconfig
15
16 That's not really safe. You want to use the defaults, which is what I
17 think 'silentoldconfig' does. You really don't want to enable an option
18 like "Add self-destruct mode" to the kernel if it is newly present :)
19
20 thanks,
21
22 greg k-h