From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel <gentoo-kernel@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] Installation location in kernel-2.eclass
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:45:29
1 Hey, all.
2
3 UML is a bit of a unique animal, in the kernel world. You install it on
4 a box, and run it on that box, but it's not the kernel for that box.
5 For this reason, I think it would be useful to be able to install UML
6 into a different location than /usr/src. I, for example, always do my
7 UML work in /home/os/uml, and would like to install it there. I could
8 symlink, but that would break my bind mounts, and cause other problems,
9 so I always end up copying it.
10
11 Unfortunately, kernel-2.eclass hardcodes the install directory to
12 be /usr/src. To get around this problem, I propose that a variable be
13 added to kernel-2.eclass (I named it K_TARGETDIR) that can be set in an
14 ebuild to install to somewhere else than /usr/src. It should default,
15 of course, to /usr/src. In usermode-sources, I'd use this as follows:
16
17 K_TARGETDIR=${USERMODE_TARGET_DIR:-"/usr/src"}
18
19 This would allow the user to specify USERMODE_TARGET_DIR in either
20 make.conf or on the command line, and install usermode-sources in that
21 directory, rather than /usr/src.
22
23 What do people think about this idea? Is there a better way to do this?
24
25 Daniel

k_targetdir.patch text/x-patch
signature.asc application/pgp-signature