From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel <gentoo-kernel@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] Installation location in kernel-2.eclass
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 20:45:29
Hey, all.

UML is a bit of a unique animal, in the kernel world.  You install it on
a box, and run it on that box, but it's not the kernel for that box.
For this reason, I think it would be useful to be able to install UML
into a different location than /usr/src.  I, for example, always do my
UML work in /home/os/uml, and would like to install it there.  I could
symlink, but that would break my bind mounts, and cause other problems,
so I always end up copying it.

Unfortunately, kernel-2.eclass hardcodes the install directory to
be /usr/src.  To get around this problem, I propose that a variable be
added to kernel-2.eclass (I named it K_TARGETDIR) that can be set in an
ebuild to install to somewhere else than /usr/src.  It should default,
of course, to /usr/src.  In usermode-sources, I'd use this as follows:

K_TARGETDIR=${USERMODE_TARGET_DIR:-"/usr/src"}

This would allow the user to specify USERMODE_TARGET_DIR in either
make.conf or on the command line, and install usermode-sources in that
directory, rather than /usr/src.

What do people think about this idea?  Is there a better way to do this?

Daniel

k_targetdir.patch text/x-patch
signature.asc application/pgp-signature