From: Jordi Molina <warp3r@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:44:11
Hi Jack, got the same issue with an Acer

On 5/26/05, Sad Jack <sadjack45@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
> I've installed gentoo on my desktop and I'm trying now to get it to run > as a dual boot with Win XP on my laptop. > > Whenever I try and boot from the install CD (the same one used to > install on my desktop, the current universal 2005) installation hangs > after 'ok installing the kernel'. Nothing seems to happen, no disk > access (CD or Hard drive). > > I've tried other distros..Suse, Ubuntu, Puppy, the only one that gets me > passed the above is Slackware 10.1 which goes through the complete > install but cannot write lilo to boot. Just says it can't write and says > to do it manually. > > In any case I want Gentoo!!! > > Laptop > Acer TravelMate 8104WLMi > Intel Pentium M 760 Processor > ATI Mobility Radeon X700 with 128Mb > 100GB hard drive > DVD re writer > 1GB DDR2 533 > > The hard drive has a small restore partition with recovery tools hidden > under windows and seen in linux as /dev/hda1. The windows install is at > /dev/hda2. I have the rest as unallocated space at the mo awaiting > (hopefully) Gentoo. >
You can disable this partition from BIOS, the setting is called D2D something. Also check for the virus protection, that may be silly-protecting the MBR of the hard drive.
Good luck! it's not impossible, I'm running gentoo for more than one year in my lap :) -- Jordi Molina Casas (warp3r) mail: warp3r@×××××.com www: www.warp3r.com If you're still sending mail to warper@eresmas, please update your address book, my current email is warp3r@×××××.com -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list