From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] HP 6720
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:03:30
2008/9/2 András Csányi <sayusi.ando@×××××.com>:
> Hi all! > > I want to buy a HP laptop (link bottom). > Anybody installed gentoo this type? Or where is available some > information (gentoo) linux vs. notebook? > > Thanks for the help! > > András > > http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/321957-321957-64295-321838-89315-3442832.html > > -- > - - > -- Csanyi Andras -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando > -- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell >
this pc will work at 100% of its functionality on any linux version available. everything, starting from the sata controllers to the video board, is supported by the linux kernel. you might have to install only the abn wireless intel drivers and you're done. you'll just need to follow the gentoo installation handbook and compile the right modules in the kernel and you'll have the notebook working perfectly. you might also want to try out the live ebuilds for the intel xorg drivers to have the most recent intel updates. this driver is the only one to support usermode xorg server and kernel modesetting. for this i'd advice you to try out first the fedora 9 version + updates; you might use it to compile the gentoo later from it - use alternative source installation: from another linux distribution so that you'll still have a linux distro working (about 30mins of installation time) while compiling gentoo. i'd also advise you to use the amd64 branch since it will take full advantage of this pc. -- dott. ing. beso