From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] What programs are good to install on pentium 133mhz?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:11:14
1 On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 07:17:57AM +0200, Werner M. Mayer wrote:
2 > Hello, I am new to gentoo and have many questions.
3 >
4 > I'll start with these:
5 >
6 > I would like to know what mail and ftp-passive programs I should
7 > install on my system. They should be secure with no need to get
8 > updates due to security breaks every half year.
9
10 I'm a sucker for good console apps, especially on low power machines
11 like that. For that, i'd suggest these:
12
13 mail - mutt + msmtp (for a MTA). mutt does IMAPS, and msmtp can do SMTP
14 AUTH with SSL, etc, etc.
15 ftp - ncftp (one of the nicer console FTP programs out there).
16
17 my $0.02
18
19 -pete