From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:41:07
1 On Sunday 18 February 2007 20:31, sigfrido V. Ortiz C. wrote:
2 > I did, but something is wrong, I´ll comment soon.
3 > I can start with Windows Vista [32 bit edition], editing GRUB comand, it
4 > is because I wrote in my grub.conf (sda0.x) and changuing it to
5 > (hda0,x) the Windows vista run fine.
6
7 Yeah, grub never uses sd* names, always hd* and always in the order
8 presented
9 by BIOS (as opposed to Linux, which presents them as they are discovered
10 through device probing with names dependent on the module/subsystem).
11
12 > Gento can not run yet, nut as soon a have more time I will try it again.
13
14 You can probably use grub TAB-completion to determine the correct (hd*)
15 setting. Generally, your boot partition will have a vmlinux or vmlinuz
16 file
17 on it. So, the workflow would go something like:
18
19 GRUB> (hd<TAB>
20 0 1
21 GRUB> (hd0,<TAB>
22 0 1 2 3
23 GRUB> (hd0,0)/vm<TAB>
24 GRUB> (hd0,1)/vm<TAB>
25 GRUB> (hd0,2)/vm<TAB>
26 vmlinuz vmlinuz.old vmlinuz-gentoo-2.6.19-r2 vmlinuz-gentoo-2.6.18-r6
27
28 At this point you know your /boot partition is (hd0,2) in grub-speak.
29
30 If don't have a dedicated /boot partition, and instead it's part of the /
31 filesystem you'll want to look for boot/vmlinux or boot/vmlinuz instead.
32 This may work even if you have a /boot parition, since some
33 ditros/administrator put a symbolic link "boot" to "." in /boot when it's
34 on
35 a partition by itself.
38 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
39 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
40 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
41 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
42 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!
43 --
44 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list