From: Ryan Viljoen <ravilj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 20:42:52
1 If you can spare some space than I think the best way to do this would
2 be to install Gentoo from your existing Fedora install as Josh
3 suggested. Than use lshw, lspci and lsusb to manually configure your
4 own kernel to your hardware requirements without having to worry about
5 auto detection.
6
7 An interesting point though, when install gentoo on my friends
8 notebook we had a similar problem of the install CD hanging and not
9 getting passed a point (during hardware detection) not matter how long
10 we left it. Luckily I had the 2004.1, 2004.3 and 2005.0 install cd's.
11 The 2004.1 install CD worked perfectly getting through all the
12 hardware detection. Once installed an emerge sync and a change in
13 profile and his install was sorted. So I dont know if you tried
14 different versions of the gentoo install cd but if not maybe track
15 down an older on? (2004.1 possibly).
16
17 Other than that I wish you luck. I would also cry if I had to use "the
18 distro that most wants to be like windows" *sigh* ... hshsh sorry
19 couldnt resist.
20
21 Cheers
22 Rav