From: Rob <rob@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] yes to Intel PRO 2100, no to Madwifi
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:20:28
1 Hello guys,
2
3 Well I have decided to concentrate my efforts on my internal mini-pci
4 card, the Intel PRO2100 WiFi, instead of an external Atheros based
5 Netgear card. Part of the decision was based on the fact that my Dell
6 technician said that this card was superior in range to many cardbus
7 based devices. I didn't know that the card even existed in my system
8 until the tech came to my house. I thought I had declined it as an
9 option when I bought the laptop. Haha. It works well in Windows- once
10 I typed in the giant HEX key for WEP.
11
12 So I am wading through the Gentoo procedures required to get it working.
13 Fortunately there are ebuilds all set up for me. I will unmerge all
14 the Madwifi stuff. I will wait for Madwifi to mature before I try it
15 again. Retrieving distributions from CVS doesn't sound optimal for me.
16 I'm not that much of a computer genious, LOL.
17
18 One thing I want to do is to eliminate all of the configuration files
19 that went along with the Madwifi driver and any associated tools. I
20 think I saw in the emerge manual some ways to find out what those files
21 were, or perhaps it was the Gentoo tools.
22
23 Sincerely, Rob
26 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list