From: Mike Shaw <mdshaw89@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Guide for Thinkpad T41
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:48:22
On 2/22/07, Till <Till.Potinius@×××××××××××.de> wrote:

> > Wireless networking (hopefully a great gui to scan for access points!) > > There are different wireless cards used in the T41. > Atheros AR5212 is well supported > (madwifi, wpa_supplicant, etc.)
I would have to disagree on the "well supported" part of ththe above comment. In my experience it depends on what you are doing. I have found trying to use madwifi along with wpa_supplicant and trying to do WEP or LEAP just does not work, at least with DHCP. I have tested and tried multiple kernel, madwifi and wpa_supplicant versions and with all the same result. My test bed is T41 and my home Linksys WRT54G(which has run both native Linksys and DD-WRT software) and IBM's own internal network. At this point I would still have to unfortunately recommend ndiswrapper(in the process of trying to go back to it, had it working a while back, upgraded kernels, it broke then all of the madwifi). Good luck, Mike -- In the future, it will be said that "America is really good at only 3 things: Music, Software and Pizza Delivery", (Snow Crash, ~p20).