From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Palm sync with Gnome/Gentoo
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:44:06
Rick Bragg wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 17:20 +0100, Matthias Bethke wrote: > >> Hi Aniruddha, >> on Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:41:48AM +0100, you wrote: >> >>> I had the same problem. It turned out my hotsync cable was broke. Palm not >>> showing up in lsusb is a bad sign. >>> >> It's a tricky thing to get to work, I know... >> >> The weird way the syncing works is that the device will only show up as >> a serial device (ttyUSBx and x+1 usually, for some reason I don't really >> understand it's actually two ports) for a few seconds after pressing the >> sync button. Try "tail -f /var/log/messages" or whatever your catchall >> syslog is while the cradle is plugged in, then press the button and see >> if something shows up. >> >> I have the following in /etc/udev/rules.d/40-pilot.rules: >> BUS=="usb", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Handspring*", NAME="pilot%n", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", SYMLINK+="%k" >> >> This works OK with my Visor and the Gnome pilot-conduits/gpilotd. >> >> HTH, >> Matthias >> >> > > Thanks I finally got that all working great. > > I would also like to set up my palm treo 755p with my thinkpad as a usb > modem. The account is set up with my provider, but my laptop does not > see the modem. I would also still like to be able to switch between my > ethernet interface, and wifi card (and select networks) in the easiest > way possible. > > Does anybody have experience with all this? There seems to be many > packages that deal with networking. ie. networkmanager, wifimanager, > wifiradar, kwifimanager... Does anybody have any clear easy advice as > to what packages to use, packages to NOT use, how to set configurations? > > Thanks again! > Rick >
Sprint's website has a howto on this (sorta). It goes through how to get an aircard to work, but if you can get bluetooth setup between your 755 and laptop then you're all set. I can't remember where it is off the top of my head, but look through some of the docs under linux for the AirCards hth -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list