From: Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] hibernate on inspiron 8600
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:36:27
Benjamin Fritzsche wrote:
> On Thursday 30 June 2005 20:18, Ward Poelmans wrote: > >>Benjamin Fritzsche wrote: >> >>>On Wednesday 29 June 2005 21:33, Ward Poelmans wrote: >>> >>>>Hi all, >>>> >>>>I've got my laptop for some time now ( a Dell Inspiron 8600 ) >>>>and i want to try hibernation support. I've already discovered >>>>the hibernation-script and swsusp2. I've have a vanilla kernel >>>>that works with swsusp2 but that's only S5 and i would like to >>>>get S3 en S4 also to work. What do i need to use for that ? >>>>Have you got any experience, advice, hints how to get this to >>>>work ? >>>> >>>>Thanks >>>> Ward >>> >>>Hi ! >>> >>>I´ve got the same machine. S3 and S4 work here. forget swsusp2. it only >>>makes things complicated. use the swsusp which is already in the standard >>>kernel. >>> >>>On my machine both S3 and S4 work pretty much out of the box. Only >>>configuration is editing the config files hibernate.conf and ram.conf >>>in /etc/hibernate. >>> >>>Only thing I had to change there is the vbetool option (vbetool on) to >>>get my Video card (ATI 9600) reactivated after suspending. You might have >>>to try different settings in that section. And figure out if there are >>>any modules which need to be unloaded/reloaded. In my case its >>>ndiswrapper and the USB Stuff. >>>And of course don´t forget to emerge vbetool. >> >>Well, i did what you told me and compiled swsusp in the kernel and >>made an usbcore module. S5 works just fine but >>with S3 it goes down as it should but it doesn't come >>back up. The screen stays black but i hear my hard disk >>come up again. I tried with EnableVbetool and VbetoolPost >>enable but it didn't help. >>Did you changed anytime in ram.conf ? >> >> >>Greetz, >> >>Ward > > > > Only Thing I did is Enable vbetool. And Switch to text mode. > > And I don´t Use a framebuffer on the console. only plain text mode. Maybe > Radeonfb is confusing your videocard? have you got an ATI card? Do you use > Firewire? I don´t but I´ve heard it can cause problems, so unload those > modules aswell if they are loaded. > > By the way: Im using vanilla-kernel-2.6.12.1, but it works here since 2.6.10 > if I remember correctly. > > Also test If its only the video card that doesn´t work by blindly going to VT1 > (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and blindly logging in as root and issueing halt. If the system > goes down you can be pretty sure its only the Videocard.
I'm now quite sure it isn't my ATI card. When my laptop comes back up it hangs and nothing working (no blind root login or numlock LED). Question is: what else can it be. I've already tried it with almost all my daemons off and the result was the same. I'm going to try an vanilla kernel with no framebuffer. Hope it work then. Thanks for your help and time sofar. Ward -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list