From: Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] hibernate on inspiron 8600
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:36:27
1 Benjamin Fritzsche wrote:
2 > On Thursday 30 June 2005 20:18, Ward Poelmans wrote:
3 >
4 >>Benjamin Fritzsche wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>On Wednesday 29 June 2005 21:33, Ward Poelmans wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>>Hi all,
9 >>>>
10 >>>>I've got my laptop for some time now ( a Dell Inspiron 8600 )
11 >>>>and i want to try hibernation support. I've already discovered
12 >>>>the hibernation-script and swsusp2. I've have a vanilla kernel
13 >>>>that works with swsusp2 but that's only S5 and i would like to
14 >>>>get S3 en S4 also to work. What do i need to use for that ?
15 >>>>Have you got any experience, advice, hints how to get this to
16 >>>>work ?
17 >>>>
18 >>>>Thanks
19 >>>> Ward
20 >>>
21 >>>Hi !
22 >>>
23 >>>I´ve got the same machine. S3 and S4 work here. forget swsusp2. it only
24 >>>makes things complicated. use the swsusp which is already in the standard
25 >>>kernel.
26 >>>
27 >>>On my machine both S3 and S4 work pretty much out of the box. Only
28 >>>configuration is editing the config files hibernate.conf and ram.conf
29 >>>in /etc/hibernate.
30 >>>
31 >>>Only thing I had to change there is the vbetool option (vbetool on) to
32 >>>get my Video card (ATI 9600) reactivated after suspending. You might have
33 >>>to try different settings in that section. And figure out if there are
34 >>>any modules which need to be unloaded/reloaded. In my case its
35 >>>ndiswrapper and the USB Stuff.
36 >>>And of course don´t forget to emerge vbetool.
37 >>
38 >>Well, i did what you told me and compiled swsusp in the kernel and
39 >>made an usbcore module. S5 works just fine but
40 >>with S3 it goes down as it should but it doesn't come
41 >>back up. The screen stays black but i hear my hard disk
42 >>come up again. I tried with EnableVbetool and VbetoolPost
43 >>enable but it didn't help.
44 >>Did you changed anytime in ram.conf ?
47 >>Greetz,
48 >>
49 >>Ward
53 > Only Thing I did is Enable vbetool. And Switch to text mode.
54 >
55 > And I don´t Use a framebuffer on the console. only plain text mode. Maybe
56 > Radeonfb is confusing your videocard? have you got an ATI card? Do you use
57 > Firewire? I don´t but I´ve heard it can cause problems, so unload those
58 > modules aswell if they are loaded.
59 >
60 > By the way: Im using vanilla-kernel-2.6.12.1, but it works here since 2.6.10
61 > if I remember correctly.
62 >
63 > Also test If its only the video card that doesn´t work by blindly going to VT1
64 > (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and blindly logging in as root and issueing halt. If the system
65 > goes down you can be pretty sure its only the Videocard.
66
67 I'm now quite sure it isn't my ATI card. When my laptop comes back up it
68 hangs and nothing working (no blind root login or numlock LED).
69 Question is: what else can it be.
70 I've already tried it with almost all my daemons off and the result
71 was the same. I'm going to try an vanilla kernel with no framebuffer.
72 Hope it work then.
73
74 Thanks for your help and time sofar.
75