From: Will Briggs <will@××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] wireless and service dependencies
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 01:09:22
1 david wrote:
2 > Will Briggs wrote:
3 >> G'day all,
4 >>
5 >> I'm having this problem. During startup both sshd and ntpd are not
6 >> started with a warning: "scheduled to start when net.eth0 is started"
7 >>
8 >> eth0 is my wired network interface, eth1 is my wireless interface.
9 >>
10 >> I rarely used a wired network, often use the wireless network.
11 >>
12 >> This behaviour is fine, to certain extent, because if net.eth0 comes up
13 >> I'd be happy to have sshd and ntpd start.
14 >>
15 >> However, I also want them to start if and when net.eth1 comes up.
16 >>
17 >> I have searched for a dependency setting somewhere but can't find. Can
18 >> anyone point me in the right direction?
19 >>
20 >> Cheers,
21 >>
22 >> W.
23 >>
24 > Did you;
25 > # ln -s net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth1
26
27 Yes. (Well, on checking it wasn't /etc/init.d/net.eth1 -> net.lo but
28 /etc/init.d/net.eth1 -> /etc/init.d/net.lo. I've changed that but I
29 suspect it makes no difference having the path in the symlink)
30
31 > # rc-update add net.eth1 default
34 No - but deliberately. I think this may be where I, or the system is
35 confused. Because unlike a desktop it's not just a matter of bringing
36 up the /etc/init.d/net.* scripts. I don't want DHCP timeouts etc. when
37 booting off-line.
38
39 net.eth0 is brought up by netplug
40
41 net.eth1 is brought up by as I understand it, the ipw3945 module being
42 loaded which runs the ipw3945 daemon, which runs wpa_supplicant, which
43 runs the init script (maybe those last two steps are vice versa)
44
45 So, currently:
46 /etc/init.d/net.eth0 status
47 * status: inactive
48
49 (which is fine, the wire isn't plugged in)
50
51 /etc/init.d/net.eth1 status
52 * status: started
53
54 which is fine, but I want sshd and ntpd to have recognised this
55
56 In the end I want the services brought up when either or both of
57 net.eth0 or net.eth1 are started (by cables being plugged in or wireless
58 networks coming up etc.)
59
60 Thanks for the response,
61