From: "Ângelo Miguel Arrifano" <miknix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Add vista Hotstart Technology(TM) support on Gentoo.
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 03:48:10

Hello everybody,

With the introduction of windows Vista, most of "Vista ready" laptops
comes with Vista Hotstart(TM) technology support.

You can read more about this:
http://www.vistabase.co.uk/kb/performance/what-is-windows-hotstart
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/hotstart.mspx

Since Microsoft is making a lot of propaganda about this feature on Vista and
I own a HP dv6535ep laptop that supports it, I wrote a Linux driver and opened
a SF.net project to support these devices under linux.
The project is here: http://quickstart.sourceforge.net

With this driver and a simple init script its possible to launch applications
at boot time by pressing a hotkey while the laptop is either turned off
or in memory suspend.

With this email I'm proposing getting the driver into portage and creating a
Gentoo doc for this matter. I think people using Gentoo on Hotstart supported
devices could potentially benefit of this feature. Plus, the kernel driver is
very simple and looks stable in the last months.

Sincerely,
- --
Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
CSE Student at UBI, Portugal