From: Sad Jack <sadjack45@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:13:32
Sad Jack wrote:
> Cliff Rowley wrote: > >>Sad Jack wrote: >> >> >>>Whenever I try and boot from the install CD (the same one used to >>>install on my desktop, the current universal 2005) installation hangs >>>after 'ok installing the kernel'. Nothing seems to happen, no disk >>>access (CD or Hard drive). >>> >>>I've tried other distros..Suse, Ubuntu, Puppy, the only one that gets me >>>passed the above is Slackware 10.1 which goes through the complete >>>install but cannot write lilo to boot. Just says it can't write and says >>>to do it manually. >> >> >>Is there some kind of boot or virus protection switched on in your BIOS? >> Perhaps something that prevents the boot loader from being >>overwritten? Although that doesn't explain the detection weirdness. >> >>Only thing I can think of, aside from some funky unsupported hardware. >> >> >>>I get the feeling that its at the hardware detection stage that is the >>>problem as live CD's when booted in failsafe load and work OK. I can't >>>find a failsafe option to boot Gentoo, is there one? >> >> >>Hmm interesting. Maybe if you could boot Slackware 10.1 or boot the >>livecd's in failsafe and save your dmesg output it might provide some >>more insight (maybe). >> >> > > Thanks for the replies. > > some interesting suggestions there especially about the bios. Can't > check it just now as I'm mid way through installing Fedora Core 3 which > at least is installing the packages same as Slacware 10.1. Not got to > the stage where grub is written yet, so heres fingers crossed that at > least I will get some form of linux on this thing. > > I'll check out the bios as soon as it reboots > > Cheers
OK FC 3 is loaded and running. Grub was installed and works fine. FC3 has not detected the graphics or the screen correctly and at the moment I am stuck with 800x600 resolution or lower. I would suggest at this stage its a hardware detection problem with the other distro and that FC3 is a little more accomodating! Its not my preferred install and I'll keep looking for a way to get gentoo so if there are any more suggestions, please keep them coming! By the way there is no settings in the bios that cause a problem with writing the bootloader. Thanks again -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list