From: Henri Magnin <henri.magnin@××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Trying Gentoo linux on a new Asus M6 laptop
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:26:19
1 Hi
2
3 I recently purchased an Asus M6 (Centrino 1.6GHz), and did not want to bother
4 anymore with the Windoze Family stuff.
5
6 I wanted to install a modular Linux, which I could master and upgrade as I
7 like.
8 I earlier tried muliple other distributions (Aurox, Mandrake), but I did no
9 longer expect to have any "straightforward" or "magic" install which was too
10 tricky to update in future.
11
12 I downloaded Gentoo 2004.2, started from stage3 (in a first trial), and
13 compiled a 2.6.7 kernel.
14
15 All was Ok, I even compiled X11 and kde and ati_drivers, to try employ at
16 best my Radeon 9700 graphics card.
17
18 My concern is about the CD-Rom on my own (very new) linux install.
19 When booting from the install boot CD-Rom, I have a /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 device.
20
21 But in the /dev of my hard-disk install, there is no such entry. So when I
22 chroot to it, I can no more see the CD-Rom device.
23
24 Maybe I missed something in the Kernel config ? This while, I followed the
25 indications provided in the Gentoo manual concerning kernel configuration...
26
27 Thanks by advance for your help
28
29 Regards