From: "Zimmerling
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: AW: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo on Samsung Q45
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:50:39
1 Oh wow,
2
3 thanks for the fast reply and the bunch of tips. I'll order the notebook and boot some LiveCD-Systems. If there are any problems (like unrecognized hardware) I'll donate this notebook to my GF ;)
4
5 greetings!
6
7 -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
8 Von: alex.howells@×××××.us [mailto:alex.howells@×××××.us] Im Auftrag von Alex Howells
9 Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 22:12
10 An: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
11 Betreff: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo on Samsung Q45
12
13 > > Typically speaking the LiveCD lags several versions behind the
14 > > latest kernel.org kernel so it's not a 100% indicator whether things
15 > > will work.
16 >
17 > for example, opensuse's one was always current with the distro. the
18 > distro was out less than 14 days ago and included a lot of new
19 > packages. that one i pretty good in terms of drivers (has the 2.6.22r8 if i don't miss).
20 > your affirmation is good to point out that if livecd works out then
21 > surely the installed distro would surelly go well.
22 > i was forgetting: for all the new processors it's possibile to run
23 > paravirtualized windows on linux with xen. so you can run windows and
24 > linux at the same time if you need to. also i would recommend
25 > installing linux on a lvm2 (on the gentoo docs should be some instructions on how to do it).
26
27 However you may end up fighting with the fact xen-sources usually lags several major versions behind gentoo-sources; and also end up fighting with qemu-dm to get your hardware virtualized copy of Windows running.
28 Last I checked HVM is also quite slow.
29
30 Given all the options I've stuck with VMware for virtualizing MS Windows lately. Obviously not acceptable if you can't live with a binary blob though, although these days you can pick up VMware Server for free and it's perfectly functional.
31 --
32 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list
36 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list