From: Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Abort network startup when cable not connected
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:16:15
On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 06:12:09PM -0400, Zander Z365 wrote:
> Hi, > > This is probably an easy one. > My laptop has two network connections: hardwired (default) and > wireless(starts manually). Both are working fine. However, when I > boot up my laptop without the NIC cable connected it takes a very long > time to boot. This is because the net.eth0 script keeps trying to > start networking. I have an older laptop with SuSe 9.2 and it does > not have this problem. > > How can I configure the startup script so that networking will not be > started if the cable is not connected?
I'd suggest you look into using ifplugd to handle starting and stopping your network scripts. Basically, you add ifplugd to the run level, and not any of the network scripts. Then, ifplugd will start the net.ethX script when it detects a Layer 1 link existing. It's not perfect, but it works (most of the time). Other alternatives are trying to get NetworkManager working (requires the new "Gentopia" overlay as discussed on the -dev list). I've not personally tried this though. -pete -- Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o> -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list