From: Jonathan <winelauncher.jonathan@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Using speed step with a Pentium III.
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:29:13
I can not make speed step work with my Toshiba Protege 7200.
My laptop has a Pentium III (Coppermine) processor.
I'm sure it can use speedstep because I used throttling software under Windows.
My kernel version is 2.6.28-gentoo-r5.

test-laptop ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping	: 3
cpu MHz		: 646.814
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips	: 1293.62
clflush size	: 32
power management:

Running "modprobe speedstep-lib" does not return any output and the exit code is 1.
Using modprobe on speedstep-smi and speedstep-ich returns "FATAL: Error inserting speedstep_* (FilePath) No such device" and the exit code is 0.

test-laptop ~ # lsmod | grep speed
speedstep_lib           7200  0

test-laptop ~ # cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling
<not supported>

test-laptop ~ # cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
Report errors and bugs to linux@×××××.de, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU