From: Devon Miller <devon.c.miller@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] parallel startup and ifplugd/ntp-client
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 14:22:24
1 That starts ntp-client after ifplugd, but on my system, ntp-client fails
2 immediately fails if I have not already plugged in the ethernet cable or the
3 USB wireless.
4
5 ntp-client contains "need net" and conf.d/rc sets RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING to
6 "no". So, according to the comments in conf.d/rc:
7 This basically means that at least one net.* service besides net.lo
8 must be up. This can be used by notebook users that have a wifi and
9 a static nic, and only wants one up at any given time to have the
10 'net' service seen as up.
11
12 So, I would expect ntp-client to not come up until the network is connected.
13 However, it starts up anyway, then fails because all that's there is net.lo.
14 I've looked at the ifplugd, net, and wireless configs, but haven't found a
15 way to run ntpdate or start ntp-client after the network is up
16
17 <dcm>
18