From: Peter Malmer <peter931@×××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo wireless within VMWare
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 06:53:26
Hi Gary,

My notebook uses IPW2200 too and I had similiar problems as far as I can
remember.

Compiling the driver into the kernel did not work. So I build
the IPW2200 as a module. The firmware is needed in general because it
is used by the driver.
If you got the kernel and the module ready and have emerged the
firmware, just boot the new kernel and run
modprobe ipw2200
You can check the result by watching the output of dmesg.
Try iwconfig to see if you have an adapter with wireless extensions.

If it works this way, you can add the driver module to
/etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

Best regards,
Peter

-- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list