From: mail <lists@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Gnome black screen
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:23:37
On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 09:02 -0800, Longman, Bill wrote:
> Rick, > > Sorry to preempt your thread, but you might want to see if you can get > just an xterm running. Try this: > > /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/xterm > > You should then get an xterm with no window manager. From there, you can > try to start Gnome. Just run "gnome-session" and it should start doing > its thing. I noticed on my machine that I hadn't had dbus running, so it > wouldn't start - it just hung there. Once I started dbus, all was well. > > Bill
Thanks Bill, That is perfect. I can run xinit /usr/bin/xterm fine. I get a small command interface and I type gnome-session. Here is the error: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly ser up; failed to read mac hine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No such file or directory I read the man page for dbus-uuidgen, but I'm not sure what I should do... On another note, the people at IBM told be I should update the bios, but it seems there is only an "exe" file from them diskette for this. The http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/license.do?filename=mobiles/1ruj35ud.exe two problems I have with that is that I have no windows computers or diskette drive! I have a CDR if there is any way to make a bootable CD to update the bios that would be great. Anybody know how to update the bios on a Thinkpad without a diskette drive or windows computer? Thanks again rick -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list