From: Rob <rob@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] WLAN Problems- need solution
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:20:57
Jordi Molina wrote:
> I'm not a guru setting up MadDriver, but at the physical layer I see > that you have: > > Link Quality=16/94 > > > This is _very_ low, normally I won't expect success in data > transmission with a quality below 50%. > > I also see that you are connected at 36 MBps, this can be due to the > low quality in signal also. > > > I recommend you disabling the WEP encryption until you set up the > connection correctly, just to make things easier. Then you can also > try to: > - Fix the transmit rate in Atheros config file: try first to fix it to > 11M and then check the link quality. Keep increasing it until you see > that the quality decreases > - If you're using dhcp ensure that you've obtained a valid ip from the server > > That's all :) > Hope it helps you > > > cheers
Hi Jordi, I have confirmed that my laptop works with WiFi when WEP is disabled. However, setting the transmit rate to 11mb/s didn't do anything. It does appear though, that with WEP, the laptop hangs at the DHCP stage, where it finally times out. I assume thats the first time the WiFi system attempts to send or receive data. I will try to get closer to the access point to see if it is just a problem of signal levels. However, in Windoze, I have plenty of signal. If all else fails I may try alternate means to get it running. Thanks! Rob -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list