From: Devon Miller <devon.c.miller@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] powermgr: Unified power management for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:34:17
Thanks Thomas, I'll definitely check it out. One feature I would like to see
is the ability to throttle the cpu to manage temperature.

My laptop occasionally reports spurious high temperatures. Within 3 polls
the temperature might be reported as 70C, 97C, 70C. When the kernel sees the
97C it powers off the system.

I've hacked around this by patching the kernel to run /sbin/overheat instead
of /sbin/poweroff. Overheat checks the temp again and if it's still hot,
shuts down powernowd and sets the cpufreq to its minimum value It then
sleeps for 5 seconds and if the temp is still 90C+, calls poweroff.

The downside is the system is now left in a very slow state. I have not
written something to bring it back to a dynamic clocking state. A daemon
that would manage all of this would be really appreciated! (Of course, the
kernel would still need to be patched to not poweroff until the daemon has
had a chance to try cooling things down.)

<dcm>