From: Henri Magnin <henri.magnin@××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Basic??? problem to use Portage ?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:20:47
1 Hi
2
3 I successfully installed Gentoo on a recent ASUS laptop (the basic install,
4 as described in the handbook).
5
6 I cannot use the on-line features of Portage since I only have a slow modem
7 at home.
8 So, I used an universal boot CD, started from a stage 3 tarball (all this
9 downloaded from my job office location).... But also expected to have a
10 graphical environment (let's say Gnome, but I have the same kind of problem
11 with Kde).
12
13 Initially, I saw that issuing the "emerge gnome" command required to have
14 some ebuilds which were not present on my PC.
15
16 ...So, I downloaded an ISO image of the relevant "package CD" from my job
17 (with a fast-speed connection). I burned the image as a CD, and installed its
18 contents as follows :
19 - I copied all files from the "All" subdirectory of the CD in my
20 /usr/portage/distfiles folder (a lot of non-zero-length '.tbz2' files)
21 - I did not deal with files in other sub-directories, since all these '.tbz2'
22 files were zero-length
23
24 The problem when I "emerge gnome" is that it tries to download the
25 "gnome-mime-data-2.4.1.tar.bz2" file from many WWW locations, and fails (of
26 course, I am not connected, and would like to install offline).
27
28 ...This while, the file "gnome-mime-date-2.4.1.tbz2" is really (and with
29 non-zero length) in my /usr/portage/distfiles folder !
30
31 What did I do wrong ? Think I misunderstanded Portage, but where ?
32
33 Thanks by advance
34 Regards
35 Henri