From: Henri Magnin <henri.magnin@××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Basic??? problem to use Portage ?
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:20:47
Hi

I successfully installed Gentoo on a recent ASUS laptop (the basic install,
as described in the handbook).

I cannot use the on-line features of Portage since I only have a slow modem
at home.
So, I used an universal boot CD, started from a stage 3 tarball (all this
downloaded from my job office location).... But also expected to have a
graphical environment (let's say Gnome, but I have the same kind of problem
with Kde).

Initially, I saw that issuing the "emerge gnome" command required to have
some ebuilds which were not present on my PC.

...So, I downloaded an ISO image of the relevant "package CD" from my job
(with a fast-speed connection). I burned the image as a CD, and installed its
contents as follows :
- I copied all files from the "All" subdirectory of the CD in my
/usr/portage/distfiles folder (a lot of non-zero-length '.tbz2' files)
- I did not deal with files in other sub-directories, since all these '.tbz2'
files were zero-length

The problem when I "emerge gnome" is that it tries to download the
"gnome-mime-data-2.4.1.tar.bz2" file from many WWW locations, and fails (of
course, I am not connected, and would like to install offline).

...This while, the file "gnome-mime-date-2.4.1.tbz2" is really (and with
non-zero length) in my /usr/portage/distfiles folder !

What did I do wrong ? Think I misunderstanded Portage, but where ?

Thanks by advance
Regards
Henri