From: Spencer McGuire <spencerm@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o, henri.magnin@××××.net
Subject: RE: [gentoo-laptop] Trying Gentoo linux on a new Asus M6 laptop
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 03:50:32
1 Maybe you should have found out what hardware was in your computer before
2 linux install, it is always helpful to have a full list of hardware when
3 dealing with a laptop, and knowing which modules/ drivers you need for
4 everything, I have had my troubles with linux but just stuck it through till
5 the end, when everything is working great. BTW, I have a tablet pc, you
6 thought a weekend was bad, try a month to get everything working.
7 Spencer
8
9 -----Original Message-----
10 From: Henri Magnin [mailto:henri.magnin@××××.net]
11 Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2004 4:07 AM
12 To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
13 Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Trying Gentoo linux on a new Asus M6 laptop
14
15 Hi
16
17 Thanks for so quick and kind response.
18 I also had an e-mail from another person in the mailing list,
19 who suggested me to really reboot with my new kernel rather than
20 simply CHROOTing and checking what was available under /dev...
21
22 Indeed, the /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 appeared and was operational when I
23 really rebooted Gentoo from my hard disk.
24
25 But I now face other difficulties. I do not have any eth0 available, even
26 the
27 cable link one (I also have WiFi, but expected to configure this later).
28 Just
29 'lo' appears in ifconfig...
30 I tried 'genkernel all' (rather than 'make menuconfig / make / make
31 modules_install'), but eth0 is not recognized anymore; although the
32 'universal install' CD does (I really wonder how its kernel is built ;-)...
33
34 I think I will give up and move to a Suze with 2.6.x kernel since I did not
35 expect to spend a full week having an operational Linux on my machine.
36 - I think I will backup what I've done with Gentoo and come back to it later
37
38 on... -
39
40 Anyway, thanks again for your help.