From: "Jan K." <me@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] EEE PC wierdness with NetworkManager
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 14:50:26
1 Hi Christopher,
2 I am using gentoo on an eeepc 701 4G. I was trying kernel 2.6.23 with
3 eeepatches (http://geeentoo.com/) with the actual snapshop from madwifi
4 hal, which was working well
5 (http://madwifi.org/browser/madwifi/branches/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6) exept
6 some powermanagement issues (suspend to ram) which I got fixed by
7 upgrading to actual 2.6.26 kernel.
8
9 With this kernel I also have problems with the wireless card (kernel
10 2.6.26: ath5k) like here: http://madwifi.org/ticket/1854
11
12 I was quite pissed to see an "it's a known bug, don't bother, its only
13 optional" at the end of each of those tickets. I mean, a working wlan on
14 a eeepc for me is more than optional. maybe and hopefully this will work
15 on future kernels, till then we will all have to use the non-kernel
16 drivers for eeepc connectivity:
17
18 atl2 (wired network):
19 http://people.redhat.com/csnook/atl2/
20
21 ath_hal (wireless network):
22 http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz
23
24 and or refer to the following page, which helped me very much:
25 http://gentoo-wiki.com/Asus_Eee_PC_701
26
27 and beyond all, have fun ;-)
28
29 bests,
30 jan
33 Christopher Friedt schrieb:
34 > Hi
35 >
36 > I was wondering if anyone else on this list is using an EEE PC with
37 > Gentoo, and if so, what is your setup?
38 >
39 > I'm still having some difficulties with NetworkManager - apparently
40 > there are some idiosyncrasies with the ath driver so that it doesn't
41 > properly respond to some iwconfig api calls, which prevents
42 > NetworkManager from being able to use the EEE PC Atheros card at all.
43 >
44 > Is anyone having any luck with this?
45 >
46 > I've got a bunch of documentation set up here:
47 >
48 > http://virtb.visibleassets.com:2080
49 >
50 > Cheers,