From: Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] hibernate on inspiron 8600
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:19:43
Benjamin Fritzsche wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 June 2005 21:33, Ward Poelmans wrote: > >>Hi all, >> >>I've got my laptop for some time now ( a Dell Inspiron 8600 ) >>and i want to try hibernation support. I've already discovered >>the hibernation-script and swsusp2. I've have a vanilla kernel >>that works with swsusp2 but that's only S5 and i would like to >>get S3 en S4 also to work. What do i need to use for that ? >>Have you got any experience, advice, hints how to get this to >>work ? >> >>Thanks >> Ward > > > Hi ! > > I´ve got the same machine. S3 and S4 work here. forget swsusp2. it only makes > things complicated. use the swsusp which is already in the standard kernel. > > On my machine both S3 and S4 work pretty much out of the box. Only > configuration is editing the config files hibernate.conf and ram.conf > in /etc/hibernate. > > Only thing I had to change there is the vbetool option (vbetool on) to get my > Video card (ATI 9600) reactivated after suspending. You might have to try > different settings in that section. And figure out if there are any modules > which need to be unloaded/reloaded. In my case its ndiswrapper and the USB > Stuff. > And of course don´t forget to emerge vbetool.
Well, i did what you told me and compiled swsusp in the kernel and made an usbcore module. S5 works just fine but with S3 it goes down as it should but it doesn't come back up. The screen stays black but i hear my hard disk come up again. I tried with EnableVbetool and VbetoolPost enable but it didn't help. Did you changed anytime in ram.conf ? Greetz, Ward -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list