From: Imran Rafique <imran@×××××××.org>
To: Marijn <hkBst@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] vim with embedded racket
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 22:57:39
1 On 13 April 2011 11:36, Marijn <hkBst@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 04/13/11 03:45, Imran Rafique wrote:
3 >> Will do. But there's one issue. I needed to replace /usr/bin/mzscheme
4 >> with a symlink to /usr/bin/racket.
5 >>
6 >> Racket-5.1 (from this overlay) installs a /usr/bin/mzscheme binary in
7 >> addition to /usr/bin/racket. Seems like some useless leftover artifact
8 >> ('racket' provides the repl, 'mzscheme' segfaults)
9 >
10 > I wasn't aware, but I just checked and with the live ebuild that I have
11 > locally I indeed still get that file too and it does:
12 >
13 > $ mzscheme
14 > read failed to read all 31 bytes from file /usr/bin/mzscheme
15 > Aborted
16
17 Yup, same here.
18
19 >> Vim-7.3 was released when racket was still plt-scheme, and it
20 >> specifically looked for the mzscheme binary. vim-7.3.049 updated the
21 >> scheme support to work with racket, but vim still looks for
22 >> '/usr/bin/mzscheme' and uses it (sure, thats an upstream issue, but
23 >> its what we have right now).
24 >>
25 >> Replacing /usr/bin/mzscheme with a symlink to /usr/bin/racket sorted
26 >> that issue out, but this really needs to be something which the racket
27 >> ebuild itself resolves (whats that mzscheme binary for, anyway?)
28 >
29 > I'll talk to upstream about the mzscheme executable.
30
31 I just saw your mail on racket-dev. I was too lazy to do that - thanks :)
32
33 > How hard would it be to fix vim to look for racket instead of mzscheme?
34
35 Hmm, not sure. I had a quick look at patch 049 (which updated from plt-scheme
36 to racket) but didn't see anything obvious. There are other issues with how
37 racket is embedded. For example, the scheme snippet in configure, which detects
38 what racket's install prefix is, doesn't work. Its missing the '#lang scheme'
39 or a (module ...) form (I'll mention that to upstream).
40
41 Thats easily handled by my vim.eclass by bypassing this detection of racket's
42 prefix, by passing "--with-plthome=/usr/".
43
44 One quick way of fixing the mzscheme problem from our end (for now), would be
45 for the racket ebuild to just replace the mzscheme binary with a symlink to
46 racket, and install that. In keeping with the gentoo spirit of quick local
47 fixes while waiting for upstream to fix the problem :)
50 Regards,
51        Imran Rafique