From: "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Cc: "Andrey G. Grozin" <A.G.Grozin@×××××××.su>, xach@××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] sbcl-1.1.2 and other things
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 21:02:51
1 On 2012/12/17, at 10:58 , Marijn wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > On 14-12-12 14:24, Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
7 >> Hello *,
8 >
9 > Hi Andrey,
10 >
11 >> Things from the lisp overlay migrate to the main tree very slowly.
12 >> And even in the overlay some important new versions are absent.
13 >> sbcl-1.1.* for example.
14 >
15 > Indeed! None of the few Gentoo developers interested in lisp seem to
16 > have enough time to spare to work much on Common Lisp.
17 >
18 >> Today, I committed to the main tree
19 >>
20 >> asdf-2.26 gentoo-init-1.0 sbcl-1.1.2
21 >>
22 >> All this stuff is pmasked. I am not a lisp expert myself, I only
23 >> use lisp to compile maxima and fricas. sbcl seems the best lisp for
24 >> this, it is fast and problem-free. So, I am really interested in
25 >> having recent versions of sbcl in the tree.
26 >
27 > Maybe you should consider expanding your knowledge of Common Lisp if
28 > you rely on software written in it a lot. None of the (other) few
29 > Gentoo developers interested in lisp seem to have enough of an
30 > investment/interest in Common Lisp at the moment to even keep SBCL
31 > up-to-date.
32
33 Indeed, this is a problem.
34
35 I'm a CL programmer, and a gentoo (l)user, but I never even tried to use the lisp overlay (how do we do that? I'd have to read the documentation of gentoo).
36
37 So, I'm not a gentoo lisp user, and I don't have now (and neither for the forseable future) the time resources to work on that.
38
39 Currently, as a lisp user, quicklisp provides the best distribution channel for Common Lisp libraries (it may not be perfect, but it works well enough).
42 Perhaps we have a egg-chicken problem here: with more lisp developer, we'd have more resources to integrate lisp into distributions (like python or ruby are integrated; distribution package management software is often written in python or ruby! (perhaps we should write a linux distrubution package management in CL, so that CL would be native on that distribution, (perhaps based on quicklisp), and if we add nice pictures, it could be a success?)), and with more lisp in GNU/linux distributions, we'd get more lisp programmers?
46 __Pascal Bourguignon__
47 http://www.informatimago.com