From: Stelian Ionescu <sionescu@××××.org>
To: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-lisp] [RFC] A couple of ideas
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:30:40
On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 00:28 -0300, Tomás Touceda wrote:
> Hello everyone, > > So a couple of days ago we discussed with pchrist about how we will > handle porting almost everything in the lisp-overlay to the main tree. > We need feedback on the following ideas to solve this, so please critic > and comment on this. > > The first idea is to move all the cl-* packages from the main tree to a > new overlay different from the official one, so we can have a clean > start in the main tree. Since most of these packages are broken (meaning > bad src_uri, bad deps, and who knows what else at this point), we > thought that this won't hurt the users. Most of us are using what's in > the overlay (and whoever isn't, please do), but either way the packages > aren't going to disappear they're just being moved, so don't panic :).
That's a good idea
> The second idea is for mirroring all the tarballs that the cl-* packages > use. Why do this? Well, most cl packages don't have a versioned tarball, > so this brings a couple of problems regarding digests, and basic version > control, so what we want to do is to build a little system to facilitate > this job. > > Here's what I've written about this second idea: > > ****** Start ****** > > The problem: > > Lisp packages' upstream don't name their tarballs with version numbers. > When there's a new release, the tarball digest changes, and then the > package digest fails.
That's not always true: some do this, but not all. The problem is more with those that do not do releases at all, and just want you to get stuff from the live repository
> A posible solution: > > Build an app that controls when the tarballs are updated and notifies > us about it in some way, and that provides a way of mirroring the tarball. > > Application design:
[snip] To me, using python and XML seems quite excessive. bash + wget + md5sum and some simple text files is a lot easier to deal with Also, there are a few other projects that try to write a package manager for lisp(lispy, clbuild, quicklisp, clornucopia, a couple others that I can't remember right now). We could join forces and have a single point of collection for versioned tarballs and snapshots -- Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur. http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib