From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@g.o>
To: bj48@×××××××.edu
Cc: gentoo-lisp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-lisp] Re: gcl and maxima
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 11:49:00

Hi Bohumir,

CC'ing our low-volume project mailing list

Bohumir Jelinek wrote:
> Dear Marijn, > > I found that "gcl" use flags was removed for the package > "maxima-5.18.1" on Gentoo recently. I have > sci-mathematics/maxima-5.18.1 installed and running on Gentoo amd64 > and also x86 architecture with dev-lisp/gcl-2.6.8_pre20090419-r1. > > I really like to have "maxima" with "gcl" since maxima with gcl was > much faster than with any other lisp that I tried about a half a year > ago. I was running a maxima code that took about 15-30 minutes to > finish and the speedup using gcl versus any other lisps was really > significant.
- From the Maxima website I understand that CMUCL is the fastest option for Maxima. SBCL is a fork of CMUCL and is currently the most popular, best supported and has the fastest development of all free Common Lisp implementation that I know of. I say that mostly to contrast SBCL with GCL which at times appears completely dead upstream. Due to GCL's inactivity and lack of use and development it has a lot of problems which I have no time to solve. Masking and possible removal of GCL has been something which has been on the table for a long time[1] but which I have been reluctant to actually do. I would prefer not to get rid of GCL but for now to discourage its use and prepare for a possible removal I have masked it. Upstream seems to be working on a release at a snail's pace and looks to be in the final phases of preparing for a release but still it might take them many months. Depending on what actually happens GCL may be removed (possibly temporarily). Anyway, you have two options: 1) Try SBCL. 2) Unmask GCL.
> Since maxima-5.18.1 compiled and runs for me (although it was some > time ago, using gcl from some overlay in Czech republic I believe), > and it still runs, can you please tell me what needs to be done for > the gcl to be unmasked?
You need to put "dev-lisp/gcl" in /etc/portage/package.unmask and also "dev-lisp/maxima -gcl" in /etc/portage/package.use.mask to undo my recent masks.
> Please also let me know if I should post a bug on bugs.gentoo.org or > e-mail someone else - or maybe if I should rather try to resolve some > gcl bugs:)
Well, as I explained gcl upstream could really use your help. I am happy to keep experimental gcl ebuilds in the lisp overlay.