From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] shmem
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 05:27:12
1 spbecker wrote:
2 >
3 > Fix the n32 multithreaded kernel bug and we'll talk (see
4 > http://beerandrocks.net:8080/~spbecker/oops/). Until then, you are just
5 > complaining about problems we can't help you with. Furthermore, you started
6 > this thread with complaining about your shmem problem, and only additional
7 > questioning from Redhatter revealed that it was a n32 specific problem (as so
8 > many are when you are playing with unsupported stuff like this). From now on,
9 > you need to specify what sort of userland, as well as what kernel version(s)
10 > you reproduced it with before we can even begin to help you.
11
12 David: If you want to get a head start tackling this, try this idea (it's what
13 I'm going to do when I get my lazy self back into gear). Start with a 2.6.10
14 mips-kernel to use n32. This will give you a somewhat usable kernel with a
15 somewhat usable n32 userland. The annoying pthreads bug doesn't appear in this
16 kernel.
17
18 Now, starting from 2.6.12-rc1 (the next kernel rev checked into lmo cvs, they
19 skipped 2.6.11), do a checkout of _each day_ of linux-mips CVS, build a kernel,
20 and try it. Keep repeating until you find the first day the pthreads bug geoman
21 mentions first appears. Once we know this day, we can take a look at all the
22 CVS commits made that day and likely find the culprit patch that h0rked us.
23 Once found, maybe we can get some attention drawn to it on the linux-mips list
24 and thus get it fixed.
25
26 As for the shmem thing, good luck, heh. We've been trying to figure that one
27 out for months. hdparm is a program that will generate it every time. strace
28 too. Maybe one of those programs can be used as a test case to narrow down and
29 squish the shmem bug as well.
33 --Kumba
36 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
37 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
38
39 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
40 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
41 --
42 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list