From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Qube2 can't load CoLo
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:04:17
1 Hi Kumba,
2 on Thursday, 2007-05-17 at 02:40:32, you wrote:
3 > Even though I've not messed with my RaQ2 in ages, that is indeed an
4 > odd error from the old cobalt ROM. What kind of hard drive do you
5 > have?, maybe some bunk data is stored in the MBR that's throwing the
6 > bootloader off? IMHO, the old bootloader/ROM is a flaky, hunk of
7 > garbage anyways. You can always try flashing colo directly to the ROM
8 > chip. Just keep it on an UPS for safety, and colo itself should be
9 > more than stable enough to handle that.
10
11 Thanks for the encouragement---I had been too chicken to try it yet as
12 the manual said to make sure the chainloading version works first.
13 Actually I even have a flasher but I'd have to install Windows for it in
14 case it screwed my flash chip, so... :)
15 Anyway, I tried and it worked flawlessley in a matter of seconds. Kudos
16 to Colonel Panic! It's still dropping me to the boot menu to load the
17 kernel by hand but I think that has got to do with my default.colo file,
18 have to check it once my new kernel compile has finished.
19
20 > Your udev errors, what do they entail? I've been keeping an eye out for
21 > people running 2.6.17 kernels and having problems with userland. I'm
22 > curious to know what glibc revision you have merged. I've got a nagging
23 > suspicion we may be about to hit into an upgrade path issue that i ran into
24 > on my Octane, but have yet to ascertain whether it was specific to me or
25 > not.
26
27 The error message says:
28 | * Mounting /dev for udev ...[ oops ]
29 |
30 |
31 | * The "mount" command failed with error:
32 |
33 | wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on udev,
34 | missing codepage or other error
35 | In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
36 | dmesg | tail or so
37 |
38 | * Since this is a critical task, startup cannot continue.
39 My glibc is 2.3.6-r4, it's all still the original 2007.0 install image
40 from redhatter. But I'm quite sure that's not the problem, this looks
41 pretty much like a problem I had on a HPPA box a while ago. I had
42 disabled support for hotplug devices in the kernel since it's a server
43 and I thought I didn't need it. Afterwards, udevd wouldn't start any
44 more, complaining about some missing netlink functionality, I don't
45 remember exactly what it was.
46 On the Qube I should have dumped the config from the netbooted
47 installation kernel but went with "make cobal_defconfig" first, which I
48 found later has no hotplug support either. So I'm pretty confident it
49 will work once I have the new kernel compiled (it's going through the
50 whole 2h procedure right now because I forgot to set the clock last time
51 8-]). I'll post my result when I have any.
52
53 cheers!
54 Matthias
55 --
56 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
57 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665