From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] bootstrap.sh on asus wl500g
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 14:28:48
1 Jason Pepas wrote:
2 > On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 09:48:34AM -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >
4 >>>I put openwrt
5 >>>on it and chrooted into a
6 >>>experimental/mips/embedded/stages/stage1-mipsel-uclibc-2005.0.tar.bz2
7 >>>tarball, with the idea of changing the profile and rebuiling.
8 >>
9 >>Ok, stop right here. Do you realize how little memory this device has?
10 >> You would be lucky to even be able to build some of the more simple
11 >>programs without some sort of ICE or out of memory error.
14 > I have 256MB of swap enabled - it shouldn't be a problem.
15
16 Yes, it's a big problem.
17
18 >>That is not even close to the correct profile for uclibc. You really
19 >>want /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/mips
22 > Well, I want to switch to glibc, but I couldn't get any mips3 or mips4
23 > stages running (I think they are the wrong endian-ness). So I thought
24 > the correct thing to was grab a stage1 and change the profile.
25
26 Of course they are the wrong endianness. Not only that, but they
27 contain instructions that will only run on 64-bit cpus.
28
29 > Am I going about this the wrong way? I am fairly new to gentoo.
30
31 Not just the wrong way, but the impossible way.
32
33 > Hmm, that sounds more like what I want to do. What I really want is a
34 > stage1-mips1-2005.1.tar.bz2, but that doesn't exist. Can I use crossdev
35 > to accomplish that?
36
37 No.
38