From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: Panagiotis Christopoulos <pchrist@g.o>, gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Cc: releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Reducing the number of the MIPS supported stages
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 17:19:33
1 On 05/05/2014 06:04 PM, Panagiotis Christopoulos wrote:
2 > On 15:06 Mon 05 May , Markos Chandras wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 >> ...
7 >> This takes quite a bit of time for all stages to be built (by the time
8 >> everything is built, we are one month passed the time the snapshot was
9 >> taken). How about stop building stages for mips1, mips3 and mips4? We
10 >> keep the existing stages on the mirrors but we will no longer update
11 >> them (or maybe we do on per user or per case basis). I understand there
12 >> is hardware for these ISAs but how often do people actually use the new
13 >> stages?
14 >>
15 >> Just to be clear, I am not suggesting for the team to stop supporting
16 >> these ISAs but to stop building new stages and let the users of such
17 >> ISAs, grab an old stage3 and do the update themselves if needed.
18 >>
19 >> This will free up some hardware resources for building different stages
20 >> for the newer ISAs (maybe more non-multilib n32 and n64 variants etc)
21 >>
22 >> What does everyone think?
23 >
24 > I agree. If we don't have the resources to build everything for everyone,
25
26 Resources is not a huge problem at the moment. Like I explained on the
27 other email, I am mainly interested in discussing whether doing so is
28 desired or not.
29
30 lets
31 > just build what is mainstream at the moment. I don't know catalyst's internals
32 > or how painful it would be to update the whole set once per year or a bit longer, but it could
33 > be nice, because I'm not sure how possible would be to update a stage3 after >
34 > 1-2 years.
35
36 Reducing the frequency of such stages can also be an option. I didn't
37 quite rule that out yet
40 Regards,
41 Markos Chandras