From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] n32 userland
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:07:38
David Cummings wrote:
> I have a couple of questions I hope someone can shed some light on. > First, if I did a stage1 install using -mabi=32, I am using a o32 > userland?
Yes.
> Second, if I wanted to move to a n32 userland, without > reinstalling from netboot, what would be the steps involved? A change > of profile, emerge system && emerge world? or emerge --newuse --deep > world all in itself.
Currently, this would require a complete reinstall. In any case, n32 userland is really not ready for general consumption yet. There are known bugs that we haven't squashed, and that could cause serious pain to end users.
> And thirdly, if I want to compile a 64-bit > binary, the gcc I am currently using, mips-unknown-linux-gnu, claims > it is unable to produce an executable.
Of course it can't. It has no 64-bit library to link the binary against. However, you should still be able to build 64-bit object files, and other programs that don't need a libc (like the kernel).
> Will the -mabi=n32 one be OK?
If you do install n32 userland, your toolchain will be mips64-unknown-linux-gnu, and will produce n32 userland binaries just fine via -mabi=n32. However, then -mabi=32 and -mabi=64 won't work, since there are no o32 or n64 libs to link against. Makes sense, yes? -Steve -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list