From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] multilib problems on mips64 profiles
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:39:29
1 On 09/21/14 21:29, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 09/21/2014 21:12, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> On 09/21/14 21:11, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 >>>> Correct me if wrong, but it seems the core problem here is that multilib
5 >>>> inherits from the o32 base profile. While I think the proper longterm
6 >>>> fix is
7 >>>> to have more discrete, modular/pluggable profile components (like OOP and
8 >>>> multiple base classes), that's not going to happen in Portage for a
9 >>>> long time.
10 >>>
11 >>> Not exactly. The problem is that everything inherits from
12 >>> profiles/arch/mips and currently that forces o32 with mgorny's multilib
13 >>> stuff. We need to get that out of the way for the other profiles that
14 >>> inherit it.
15 >>
16 >> Oh wait, maybe we mean the same thing here. I'm not sure. When you say the
17 >> same base profile, do you mean profile/arch/mips? In that case we are saying
18 >> the same thing.
19 >
20 > I actually forgot about arch/mips in the profiles. I'll have to dig around in
21 > there later on. I assumed we (the MIPS team) managed everything MIPS in the
22 > tree, since -embedded used to compartmentalize everything under their embedded
23 > profiles.
24 >
25 > The modular profiles bit is a longterm item. I don't know if this mixins thing
26 > will correct our issues or not. If not, I may just have to dive into Portage
27 > and write my own profile-parsing code and try my modular idea out to see if
28 > that really does solve nay problems.
31 The mixins can help this issue but will not correct it. The problem is
32 the current inheritance model is so uncontrollable. Everything I do is
33 always so-so. I can never get it right. I would love it if we just did
34 away with parent files and stacked manually in the last profile that we
35 export to the user.
38 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
39 Chair of Information Technology
40 D'Youville College