From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Question - Kumba LiveCD RC6
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 06:47:44
Mike Martin wrote:
> Success! > > I have successfully burnt and booted my SGI Octane from Kumba's X-RC6 > distribution. The trick was in the burning. I was burning it from SUSE > in a DVD burner. For whatever reason, it didn't work. I then tried > burning it using cdrecord under Windows XP. I know everything says you > can't burn the disk in Windows, but it was the only other machine I > had with a burner. It worked. > > For the record I used this file: > http://smithii.com/files/cdrtools-2.01-bootcd.ru-w32.zip > downloaded from this site: http://smithii.com/cdrtools > with this command: cdrecord -vv -pad speed=12 dev=1,0,0 -tao > livecd-mips3-gcc4-X-RC6.img > > I've used the disk to boot my Octane and my Indy, both into X without > any other problems. > > Thanks everyone for your help! > Now I just need to figure out how to install and boot from the hard drive!
Interesting, what DVD Burner and what burning program? I suspect a DVD drive that has a firmware bug in its handling of burnable CDs. Probably such a subtle thing, QA missed it at the factory, or we're the only kind of setup that triggers it. And we never said Windows was impossible, just no one's every really tried it before and reported success. But you did, since win32 version of cdr-whateveritscallednow will do the trick nicely. --Kumba -- Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond -- gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list