From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Question - Kumba LiveCD RC6
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 06:47:44
1 Mike Martin wrote:
2 > Success!
3 >
4 > I have successfully burnt and booted my SGI Octane from Kumba's X-RC6
5 > distribution. The trick was in the burning. I was burning it from SUSE
6 > in a DVD burner. For whatever reason, it didn't work. I then tried
7 > burning it using cdrecord under Windows XP. I know everything says you
8 > can't burn the disk in Windows, but it was the only other machine I
9 > had with a burner. It worked.
10 >
11 > For the record I used this file:
12 > http://smithii.com/files/cdrtools-2.01-bootcd.ru-w32.zip
13 > downloaded from this site: http://smithii.com/cdrtools
14 > with this command: cdrecord -vv -pad speed=12 dev=1,0,0 -tao
15 > livecd-mips3-gcc4-X-RC6.img
16 >
17 > I've used the disk to boot my Octane and my Indy, both into X without
18 > any other problems.
19 >
20 > Thanks everyone for your help!
21 > Now I just need to figure out how to install and boot from the hard drive!
22
23 Interesting, what DVD Burner and what burning program? I suspect a DVD drive
24 that has a firmware bug in its handling of burnable CDs. Probably such a subtle
25 thing, QA missed it at the factory, or we're the only kind of setup that
26 triggers it.
27
28 And we never said Windows was impossible, just no one's every really tried it
29 before and reported success. But you did, since win32 version of
30 cdr-whateveritscallednow will do the trick nicely.
34 --Kumba
37 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
38
39 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
40 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
41 --
42 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list