From: Manuel Lauss <manuel.lauss@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-mips@l.g.o" <gentoo-mips@l.g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-embedded@l.g.o" <gentoo-embedded@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-mips] Re: MIPS32 little-endian Gentoo rootfs
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 16:24:37
1 On Monday, October 10, 2011, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Manuel Lauss
3 > <manuel.lauss@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hello,
5 >>
6 >> I've uploaded an updated version of my Gentoo installation for
7 >> little-endian softfloat MIPS32(r1)
8 >> processors (and of course newer ones).
9 >>
10 >> Highlights include:
11 >> - full native toolchain. All packages have been compiled natively on
12 >> target hardware.
13 >> - based on portage snapshot from 111008
14 >> - binutils-git from 111007 to work around udev and kernel build failures
15 >> - firefox-7.0.1
16 >> - rebuilt most packages due to libpng-1.5 and other library updates
17 >> - python built against Linux-3.x
18 >> - latest ~arch packages
19 >>
20 >> http://mlau.at/files/mips32-linux/README.txt
21 >>
22 >> http://mlau.at/files/mips32-linux/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-111008.tar.xz
23 >>
24 http://mlau.at/files/mips32-linux/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-111008.tar.CONTENTS
25 >>
26 http://mlau.at/files/mips32-linux/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-debugsyms-111008.tar.xz
27 >>
28 http://mlau.at/files/mips32-linux/mips32elsf-gentoo-rootfs-debugsyms-111008.tar.CONTENTS
29 >> http://mlau.at/files/mips32-linux/mips32elsf-gentoo-packages-111008.tar
30 >> [still uploading]
31 >>
32 http://mlau.at/files/mips32-linux/mips32elsf-gentoo-packages-111008.tar.CONTENTS
33 >>
34 >> Happy hacking,
35 >> Manuel Lauss
36 >
37 > Thanks a lot! This should help me build mips32 little endian stages now.
38 >
39 > Is floating point emulation handled by the kernel, or do glibc and gcc
40 > have to be compiled to support it? I tried building mips32-softfloat
41 > stages before, but ran into library incompatibilities. I can't see any
42 > value at all in providing mips32 hardfloat stages if the userland is
43 > different.
44
45 Yes there are ABI incompatibilities. Packaged built for hardfloat will run
46 (with in-kernel CP1 emulation) but uf they interface with softfloat
47 libraries there will be troubles (obviously).
48 I have one such binary-only app (coreplayer) which just outputs static noise
49 instead of audible sound.
50 Both GCC and glibc have to be built with softfloat otherwise one will break
51 the other, with sometimes random (seg)faults.
52
53 Manuel