From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] SGI Octane kernel patch available
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 21:57:34
1 On 09/23/2014 09:16, Alex Deucher wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 09/22/2014 10:44, Alex Deucher wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 5:47 AM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>> I've made a unified patch against linux-3.16.0 available to get Octane working
6 >>>> for anyone with such a machine again. I still have to re-work the patchset for
7 >>>> mips-sources to include this, but that will take a while longer. I'll try to
8 >>>> get stages uploaded in a few days someplace as well, along with the minimal
9 >>>> netboot initramfs.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Full info is available here on the forums:
12 >>>> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-7621340.html
13 >>>>
14 >>>
15 >>> For review purposes and probably a better chance of spotting bugs, it
16 >>> would be nice if you could break you patch up into manageable pieces
17 >>> and send then out as git patches. E.g., precursor patches, core
18 >>> support patches, individual new driver patches.
19 >>>
20 >>> Alex
21 >>
22 >> The goal is to eventually get this into linux-mips upstream by breaking it up
23 >> into separate patches for review. Right now, though, I just wanted to put
24 >> something out there for others to hack on and maybe improve things. There are
25 >> still some drivers that Octane uses that can work on other systems that have
26 >> problems on those other systems. Specifically, the IOC3 metadriver. That
27 >> doesn't work on IP27 right now, and that's the bare minimum that has to be
28 >> fixed before I can send things upstream, since upstream won't accept two
29 >> different variants of IOC3 code for two different systems.
30 >
31 > IMHO, it's easier for others to contribute and improve things if you
32 > break the patch up. Some one familiar with the ioc3 hw may take the
33 > time to look at a few ioc3 patches, but quickly get discouraged trying
34 > to sift through a huge patch that touches tons of unrelated things.
35 > You might also want to provide a git tree so others can easily grab
36 > the changes.
37 >
38 > Just my 2 cents.
39
40 Agreed completely. I'm just a bit disorganized in my hacking and haven't sat
41 down to fully separate the various bits up into logical components and drop
42 them into a git tree. It's on the TODO list, because I'll need git's
43 capabilities to eventually organize things into a patch set to send upstream
44 (and I have to look into quilt, too).
47 Joshua Kinard
48 Gentoo/MIPS
49 kumba@g.o
50 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
51
52 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
53 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
54
55 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic