From: jscottkasten@×××××.com
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Cc: mattst88@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] A big thanks to Matt Turner for his hard work on Gentoo/MIPS
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:35:40
1 So hear ye all.
2
3 -S-
4
5 --- On Sun, 9/11/11, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
6
7 > From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
8 > Subject: [gentoo-mips] A big thanks to Matt Turner for his hard work on Gentoo/MIPS
9 > To: "Gentoo-dev" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "Gentoo/MIPS" <gentoo-mips@l.g.o>
10 > Cc: mattst88@g.o
11 > Date: Sunday, September 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
12 >
13 > Hey all,
14 >
15 > I just want to take a minute to thank Matt Turner
16 > (mattst88) for all his
17 > hard work and leadership in keeping Gentoo/MIPS alive
18 > within the project.
19 >
20 > It has been a long, tough road for the MIPS port of
21 > Gentoo.  Our hardware is
22 > quirky, extremely diversified, sometimes archaic, and not
23 > the easiest in the
24 > world to understand.  With my time having been limited
25 > over the past two or
26 > so years, we had regressed a fair bit, and the MIPS port as
27 > a whole has
28 > largely been leaderless.  Thus we became a thorn in
29 > the side of many a
30 > developer, many of whom I sure asked the question, "Why are
31 > we still
32 > supporting this oddball architecture?".
33 >
34 > Matt has stepped up to the plate and gotten things fixed up
35 > and working
36 > again, a task that I honestly felt was becoming more and
37 > more of a long-shot
38 > with each passing week.  We have new stages -- in all
39 > ABIs and two (or three
40 > now?) ISAs, proper multilib support, our bug count is
41 > actually going down,
42 > and possibly new install media on the way.  None, I
43 > repeat, none of this
44 > would have been possible without Matt's leadership and
45 > drive to make the
46 > MIPS port relevant once more.
47 >
48 > So please join me in thanking Matt for his hard work, time,
49 > and leadership
50 > in making Gentoo/MIPS a viable element of the Gentoo
51 > project one again!
52 >
53 > Thanks Matt!
54 >
55 > --
56 > Joshua Kinard
57 > Gentoo/MIPS
58 > kumba@g.o
59 > 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
60 >
61 > "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future
62 > frightens us.  And
63 > our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast,
64 > terrible in-between."
65 >
66 > --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic