From: Andrew Finley <afinley@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] PANIC: Unexpected exception at boot o2 R5000
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:52:25
1 Hi Kumba and Steve,
2 I started working on your suggestions. But get a package masked error
3 when trying to emerge arcboot. What do I need to do?
4 -thanks andy
5
6 On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 19:08, Kumba wrote:
7 > Andrew Finley wrote:
8 > > Hello All,
9 > > I am trying to install on a O2 r5000. After what I thought was a
10 > > successful kernel build, etc. (following the install instruction on the
11 > > MIPS project page, and using the experimental livecd). I powered off
12 > > then tried to boot, then received the message below.
13 > [snip]
14 >
15 > O2 can't boot off disk directly (that is, load a kernel from the volume header
16 > like IP22). You have to use arcboot for that. Arcboot's a hair slow at
17 > reading kernels off disk, but wesolows made a wicked patch I'm going to test
18 > soon and put into portage which will dramatically speed up disk loading.
19 >
20 > Just `emerge arcboot`, and follow the instructions printed after the build
21 > finishes, and things should work out fine. If not, drop a note here about it.
24 > --Kumba
27 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list