From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@×××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] n64 stages for mipsel… any interest?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2017 07:16:31
1 On 06/06/17 23:10, Stuart Longland wrote:
2 > Well, after much compiling with a slow QEMU VM… here's the first batch.
3 >
4 > http://www.longlandclan.id.au/~stuartl/gentoo/mips/n64/
5 >
6 > I have not yet tried these out, *at all*, this is just the raw output
7 > from Catalyst. I've simply thrown them up here with GnuPG signatures,
8 > and will be trying them out sometime this weekend on my Yeeloong, which
9 > is presently running OpenBSD/loongson.
10
11 An update, the stages work. I have my Yeeloong running n64 now, and it
12 is *more* responsive than the QEMU VM is. n32 is still theoretically
13 going to be faster, but since not much software handles n32 well (and
14 x32 on AMD64 has the same problems).
15
16 I haven't hit any major issues, although I think sometimes I tickle the
17 CPU the wrong way and that causes a system hang: possibly a kernel
18 issue. Presently, I am re-building my desktop environment, I have X
19 working (fbdev; siliconmotion driver segfaults) and so now it's a case
20 of building up everything else.
21
22 Also, I have packaged up a kernel and disk image using these stages that
23 may be useful for people to try out Gentoo/MIPS n64.
24
25 Might be handy for other devs to try out their packages on MIPS, just
26 create a new disk image and mount it as `hdb`, partition and format it,
27 unpack an official stage3, copy /lib/modules and /lib/firmware over,
28 then shut it down and use the new image in place of `hda`, the VM should
29 boot that new stage.
30 --
31 Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)
32
33 I haven't lost my mind...
34 ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.