From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-mips] modular X.org
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 13:15:39
1 Hi folks,
2
3 For any of you stable folks already running X out there, xorg-x11-7.1
4 went stable on mips yesterday. Please read the modular X migration
5 guide at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml
6 before going through with the upgrade, as it will save you a lot of
7 headache.
8
9 However, there are a couple of things to note in particular for mips
10 with respect to USE_EXPAND. Please do no try to unset INPUT_DEVICES (in
11 other words, do not set INPUT_DEVICES="" in your environment anywhere),
12 or else you will run into a whooooooooole lot of broken deps. This is
13 currently a limitation of the xorg-server ebuild, and there isn't
14 anything we can do about it at this moment. As for VIDEO_CARDS, if you
15 do not set it, you will get five drivers, fbdev, newport, impact, dummy,
16 and v4l. Feel free to set this to whatever is appropriate for you.
17
18 Speaking of impact, the X driver for impact on ip28 (Indigo2 Impact
19 R10K) and ip30 (Octane) machines was committed upstream recently, and I
20 squeezed it into the tree just a few days ago. I know a lot of people
21 have been waiting for this, and now you won't have to use my ancient
22 binpkg or roll your own patchset and ebuilds anymore. Note that we are
23 bypassing normal QA procedures by stabilizing it so soon, however myself
24 and others have been extensively testing this driver and feel confident
25 that it is ready for end users at this time. However, please do report
26 any issues. To my knowledge, this makes us the only distro that
27 supports X on impact.
28
29 Have fun...
30
31 -Steve
32
33 P.S. There are some example xorg.conf files in
34 http://dev.gentoo.org/~geoman/Xstuff/
35 --
36 gentoo-mips@g.o mailing list