From: "J. Scott Kasten" <jscottkasten@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] Question - Kumba LiveCD RC6
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:54:53
1 A belated thanks! Sorry for slow reply, but I've been installing. :)
2
3 I ended up using RC5 to bootstrap an IP32-R5K to partition the disk and
4 add the netboot image and arcload to the volume header. From there, I was
5 able to run the normal install. Thanks to the obvious hard work of lots
6 of gentoo people, it went smooth.
7
8 I have already emerged my way up to loadable kernel modules, IPv6,
9 XORG-X11, and am typing this mail on the system now. It seems to be rock
10 solid. After I've thorougly checked my kernel out over a couple weeks,
11 I'll post the config to Stuart's hardware compatibility page.
12
13 A few questions though.
14
15 [1] From looking at other configs there, and having just walked through
16 the 2.17.10 config process, it looks like the alsa mips ip32 sound device
17 has been disabled. I cannot even select it in 2.17.10. I was wondering
18 what the status of this driver was. Judging from submitted configs, it
19 looks like people had been enabling it at 2.16 or earlier.
20
21 [2] What is the root password for the RC6 CD? :)
22
23 I noticed in the RC6 comments that no-one had tested on the Indigo2, IP22
24 arch. I have a headless I2 (formerly extreeme) and will test boot it
25 sometime this comming weekend.
26
27 [3] Has anyone tried Firewire in the O2 PCI slot? I have an ADS
28 Technologies combo Firewire/USB 2.0 PCI card comming soon. This uses an
29 ALI chipset. I pulled the USB config from the RC6 CD kernel. I suspect
30 it won't be much to make the USB portion work. It will be interesting to
31 see about the firewire. Fortunately Firewire chipsets are more
32 standardized than USB. I'll report back when I know something here.
33
34 Thanks,
35 -S-
36