From: Manuel Lauss <mano@×××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] MIPS32 Little-Endian softfloat packages, anyone interested?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 06:40:11
1 Hi Joshua,
2
3 On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:36:16PM -0400, Kumba wrote:
4 > Manuel Lauss wrote:
5 >> Hello!
6 >> For the last 3 years I've been "maintaining" a modest collection of
7 >> packages for generic little-endian MIPS32 softfloat systems (mainly for my
8 >> Alchemy hardware). It includes a lot of stuff which is currently
9 >> use-masked
10 >> on MIPS (qt4, scanner support, etc; almost all run-tested on real
11 >> hardware).
12 >> Is there interest in the Gentoo(-MIPS) community for these packages?
13 >> A list of packages can be found at [1] as well as the custom portage
14 >> profile
15 >> which was used to build them at [2].
16 >> The package tarball is ~1.1GB in size; 90% of the packages have been built
17 >> with
18 >> gcc-4.3.3. Mainly generic stuff I needed to do my work plus a few
19 >> just-for-fun things like KDE-4.2.2 (yes it runs, but at a glacial pace).
20 >> Thanks!
21 >> Manuel Lauss
22 >> [1]
23 >> http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf/mips32elsf-packages-090420.tar.CONTENTS
24 >> [2] http://mlau.at/files/gentoo/mips32elsf/mips32elsf-etc-portage.tar.bz2
25 >
26 > This is pretty neat. Although, our focus is more on the bigger MIPS
27 > workstation, like the SGI stuff and even some of the Longsoon machines. We
28 > actually have a separate team that focuses more on the embedded machines,
29 > including embedded ARM, MIPS, and other related equipment.
30
31 Although Alchemys are lacking a FPU and a decent GFX accelerator, I think
32 performance-wise they're not that slower than SGI boxes.
35 > I'd post this to the gentoo-embedded list, and you might find a few people
36 > over there interested. Some of the methods you used for building these
37 > packages, including any toolchain changes, eclass/ebuild changes, might be
38 > useful to them over there.
39
40 I actually didn't change any ebuilds, it's as "vanilla" as the Gentoo
41 installations on my x64 machines (all packages have been built natively).
42
43 I'll contact the embedded folks!
44
45 Thanks!