From: Dirk Tilger <dirk@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-mips@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-mips] IP30: Gentoo installation without monitor & keyboard
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 07:37:48
On 08.03.2008, at 01:07, Karin Willers wrote:

> trying to erase the partition table ended in fdisk not being able > to read the disk ... > > / # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 > 1+0 records in > 1+0 records out > / # fdisk /dev/sda > > Unable to read /dev/sda > / # > > Any hints? What is the procedure under Linux to add a fresh hard disk > to an Octane? Browsing the WEB did not reveal anything useful.
Did fdisk work before? fdisk only supports the MBR partition format. My guess would be that the SGI firmware (what they would call BIOS on a PC) will only read SGI labels. I used to create SGI disklabels with `parted` instead of `fdisk`, but the following site suggests that there is an fdisk capable of creating SGI disklabels: http://www.total-knowledge.com/progs/mips/SGI-BootCD-HOWTO.shtml Judging by the man page of fdisk, you might want to go ahead with `fdisk -i`. Dirk. -- gentoo-mips@l.g.o mailing list